Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nepal study tour


Seven Women skills training centre - Nepal (photography by Kim Cartmell)

A lot of you probably know that my biz partner Teegs is off to Mexico for an artist's residency in less than a week (so soon!). What you might not yet know is that I'm off on a similar(ish) journey to Nepal at the end of this year!

In December/January I am heading off on a study tour of the main fair trade enterprises in Nepal. Over 20 days, group of 15 will be visiting, learning, volunteering and getting inspired. The trip is run by Steph Woollard, founder of Seven Women - a not for profit enterprise that employs marginalised and disadvantaged women to make handcrafted items that are sold in Australia.

I'm simultaneously excited and terrified. Having never been to a developing country before this is going to be such an incredible, eye opening and challenging experience. Steph has a long standing and intimate knowledge of Nepal, it's people and culture, so this trip will be far from tourist-like.

The thing I'm most excited about is the fact that we will be volunteering at the Seven Women skills training centre with tasks that are based on our personal areas of expertise. I am very lucky to have gained Steph's confidence in taking on a product development role. I am so excited about using the skills and insight I have in the Australian design & craft scene to help develop products that will appeal to the local market. And to work intimately with the women who will be making those items - teaching them, even - that is an experience that I could never have dared hope for!


Seven Women skills training centre - Nepal (photography by Kim Cartmell)

The trip isn't till the end of December, and I need to do a little bit of fundraising between now and then to donate to one of the enterprises that we will be visiting. So stay tuned for more on that!

More pics of the Seven Women skills training centre below - I can't wait to meet these women.


Seven Women skills training centre - Nepal (photography by Kim Cartmell)


Seven Women skills training centre - Nepal (photography by Kim Cartmell)


Seven Women skills training centre - Nepal (photography by Kim Cartmell)


Seven Women skills training centre - Nepal (photography by Kim Cartmell)

If you're interested in participating in a similar trip, Steph is taking another group mid 2013. Shoot her an email if you're keen!

xx

7 comments:

Khristian A. Howell said...

This looks totally amazing! Now I'm inspired to find something like this in the states. I have been longing for something, and the idea of traveling so authentically means so much more than just a simple vacation. Thank you for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

you will Love Nepal if you have the right pair of eyes :P

welcome
u r coming end of Dec is it ?

Lara said...

Mangal - thank you! I think I have the right pair of eyes :)

Yes we are visiting from the 28th December for about 20 days!

Anonymous said...

28 Dec is my Birthday :)

Anonymous said...

28 Dec - Thats my Birthday :)
20 days will pass very quickly
specially when you are going to be trekking and all :)

Helene said...

Brilliant Lara! Sounds very, very, very brilliant!!!!

Tali said...

Wow Lara, Nepal!!! This sounds so amazing.
Good luck, hope you learn a lot. I'm sure it will be an eye opening experience. Can't wait for your blog posts from Nepal :)