Friday, April 20, 2007

Plotting and Planning

It must be the week for discovering cool new things. Today I discovered the awesomeness of the Plotter - a type of printer traditionally used to print architectural plans. It differs from a normal printer in that it uses a mechanical arm with a pen attached to draw lines and colour in fills, much like a human does. But why is it so cool? Because it's CHEAP, that's why! I got two A0 size prints done (841mm × 1189mm) for $4.40 each! That's crazy cheap in my mind. I'm using the prints to get a sense of the scale of my patterns before they go onto fabric:


'geese' and 'japanese garden' - any suggestions for better names? Hehe.

On a side note, the other day I frightened a poor woman who was walking down the street when I shouted out and pointed at her - she was wearing one of my blue dot necklaces! I couldn't help it - I've never come across a stranger wearing my stuff before and it was a reflex reaction. She'd bought it from our local giftwares shop, so it's not as coincidental as someone who'd bought it off the net. But still.

13 comments:

elisabetha said...

i've a love-hate relationship with plotters (i work in a landscape architecture office), but yours is definitely the prettiest plot i've ever seen! if only all CAD drawings are as aesthetically pleasing as that!!

Anonymous said...

Those prints turned out great! Hmmm..."geese"..."flying south"?

Anonymous said...

What a new way to use plotters! I've used them too in my previous job as a landscape architect. If only I knew then the possibilities I have with that big printing machine... *sigh*

Kirsten said...

oooo, love the geese pattern. that looks fantastic! and yes, i have only ever used those plotters for work purposes - much more fun to use them as you have!

Anna said...

we have one of those at work (for printing garment patterns)- it sounds like a small aeroplane! It would be awesome if we could print our illustrator files out on it- we get our fabrics printed, and gluing a full-repeat artwork together is a pain! I think its a great idea for a full scale trial-run of your prints :)

Anonymous said...

How fun to spot someone wearing your work!

I'm hoping to get some of your new fabric once it's ready.

IMEDAGOZE said...

those trial-run prints would make great gift wraps. :)

Anonymous said...

One of the many reasons I love your blog is for all the amazing things you manage to discover - like these plotter prints. As always, it is very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

i agree with imedagoze: giftwrap ahoy!

plotters sound very interesting indeed, coming from a design/pattern point of view. i wonder where i can access one here in sydney... hmm.

Unknown said...

I put forward the following names... "Flying Birdies" and "Crazy Dwarf Trees"... feel free to use them.

Anonymous said...

hey I have one of your blue dot neclaces too!!!!!! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so loving your fabrics but still haven't managed to buy any (sob) so must make a better effort of staying on top of my bloglines!!

Anonymous said...

Your prints are gorgeous, they would look great as wallpaper or wrapping paper too.
Love your story re. woman in the street :)