Friday, December 01, 2006

Positive forward movement :)

Madness. The modamuse shop opened this week, and has already sold three of my blue dot necklaces. I can't believe it. It's so very flattering and confidence inspiring. Thankyou to those who bought them!! I will get on to making more this weekend, and might try a few different designs :)

Meanwhile I've been inspired to really get going with printing my patterns onto fabric. Some people have been giving me some really nice feedback and prompting me to do so, so I will dilly dally no longer :)


Buuuut, first I need some advice from all you crafty people out there. What scale should I print them at??? It's a tough decision: either print them with small, tight repeats, suitable for small patchwork and craft work, or scale them up a bit so that they're suitable for bags/dresses/lamps etc.
I'm also not 100% sure which ones to print in the first place. I've chosen the fairly simple 1-2 colours ones for now, but I'm not sure if they're the most appealing. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. The full selection is viewable here.

I did a few test prints onto A4 to try and figure out the scale. Here's what I came up with (Ignore the colours for now):



What do you think? Too small? Too large? I will have a large area to play with, around 50cm x 80cm per print which is pretty expansive, so ... I could turn them into funky large scale repeats instead. As you can tell, I'm at a loss! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

7 comments:

leslie said...

congratualtions on selling some necklaces! can't say that i'm surprised though, they are lovely...

i say go large scale for the prints, i could just see a lovely, tunicy style top made from the wavey one. mmm.

Anonymous said...

I think it might depend on the pattern. The one on the right seems like it would be better at a smaller scale, while the one to the left might be better at a larger scale.

Have you ever thought of selling these as stationery or wrapping paper? I'd love to use some of these patterns in mail or paper crafts. :)

Kristen Doran said...

I vote for med-large scale repeats

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Valerie said; some of the patterns seem more suited to small, while others just beg to be made large! But if it boils down to ease of just making them all large or small, I'd say go with large. I could totally see a nice, large summery tote out of any of these...

Good luck! :)

nicole lecht said...

why not consider both? some patterns seem like they would be better on a smaller scale like your tighter and more geometric patterns and others i think would be fab larger like your looser, more organic ones...def try starting with your more signature ones like your birds and trees!.......i'm sooo excited for you lara! i would love to bind some books for you! we'll talk soon!!!

Heather Moore said...

Making teatowels really helped me to get my designs onto fabric because it was useful to think of how the object would be used and the scale at which it needed to work. Since making the towels, I've used the same fabric in a couple of different ways.
I love your designs - really beautiful!

Stereoette said...

you could do the same patterns in different scales for different uses - ie, small print for a coin purse, but large print for the handbag it goes with.