Saturday, October 21, 2006

New Friends, and where to put them

This week our apartment has some new friends! Firstly the three Ashley G prints, which I managed to frame nicely for a grand total of $10 all up - yay for dodgy little $2 shops on Smith St! Yeah I know, they deserve a bit more attention than that, but it's an effective short term solution until one day we have some better wall space.



Our second new friend is a living one! Don't get too excited, this little friend only needs to be fed once every month. It's the cutest little Golden Jade tree, and I confess, I'm a little overly obsessed with it at the moment. I picked it up from the Vic Market today after spotting it when doing the groceries last week.

We'd been talking about getting a Jade tree for awhile, and when I saw it I knew it was perfect. It's so bonsai-ish and seriously looks like a quirky illustrated version of a tree! Yay! Although unfortunately, when I brought it home it wasn't what Pete had pictured in his mind at all. Turns out we were thinking about two quite different plants. I blame Google image search :)


Look at that stumpy little trunk!




sorry for all the pics. I couldn't seem to adequately capture it's cuteness in a single photo.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your stumpy little jade tree! And the shop looks just beautiful. I think your prices seem totally reasonable, though I totally understand your dilemma, especially in comparing to other Etsy sellers. But your jewelry is complicated and really different, and I think this merits your prices.

Just my two cents. Congrats.

Shayna said...

i'm curious what the other tree looked like... i've never seen a golden jade tree before, but now that i have i must own one! thanks for sharing...

Lara said...

Glad there's some other people out there who think it's cute! I'm not so crazy after all ;)

I think the plant that Pete pictured is a much smaller version of this... with much littler leaves. It's one of those cactus/succulents that you can have on your desk at work.

S - good luck finding one. Just hunt down a cactus/succulent farm. And if there's none in your area you can mail order it "bare rooted" and pot it yourself :)

Anonymous said...

nice coloured leaves. Is this also a money tree? If so it is meant to bring you luck.

Lara said...

It is indeed a 'money tree' - or so google told me! Good luck hey? A bit of extra good luck can always come in handy :)

Anonymous said...

I love your tree. The color is just vibrant. And the more photos the better :)
(ps: just discovered your blog & *love* your designs.)

montague said...

oh- that jade plant is lovely! and thanks for the shinzi katoh advice!